Best Summer Memories
As summer comes to a close I am reminded of how much I miss childhood summers. From the time I was 3 years old my best friend Anna would come to visit her grandfather who was my next door neighbor until I was 11 and had to move cross town. Our grandfathers were friends and even though I only got to spend the summer months with Anna she was and is my best friend in every sense of the word. Every summer memory I have, the good, the bad, the embarrassing and the ones that make me shake my head, all of them feature the two of us.
1. Grandpa Lieberman’s swimming pool: I always knew summer fun was approaching when the cover came off the pool!
2. Sweet young boys who unfortunately turned into normal teenage hormonal assholes.
3. Video games! I learned to play Othello and the various Mario games at the feet of grandpa Lieberman. I still maintain he had the patience of a saint. I miss him terribly.
4. Taking turns to play Wheel of Fortune on the computer.
5. “The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow”: seeing the full soundtrack and acting out scenes from Annie.
6. The old train tracks and warm summer nights .
7. Band camp, this one doesn’t have much to do with Anna, but it is still a great summer memory from the later years.
8. Dirt roads.
9. Lightening bugs.
10. The smell of grills in the neighborhood still signals the opening of the season to me.
While I only saw Anna in the summertime, her grandparents opened their home to me all year round. I have so many wonderful childhood memories because of them both. They go hand in hand with the memories I have of my own grandparents. Summertime however was looked forward to for many reasons that had nothing to do with school being out.
I sit back and think about them good old days
The way we were raised in our southern ways
And we like cornbread and biscuits
And if it’s broke ’round here, we fix it
I can take y’all where you need to go
Down to my hood, back in them woods
We do it different ’round here, that’s right
But we sure do it good, and we do it all night